Colonel Michael P. Richard is the Vice Commander 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea. As Vice Commander, the colonel plays a key role in the planning, and execution of military operations to include counter-air, aerial interdiction, and close-air support on the Korean Peninsula. The wing consists of more than 2,700 active-duty personnel, four groups, and 13 squadrons including two F-16 fighter squadrons.
Colonel Richard received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Notre Dame in 2002. Colonel Richard has commanded at the squadron level. He is a command pilot with more than 2,200 hours in the F-16, and has over 400 combat hours in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM, NEW DAWN, and UNIFIED PROTECTOR.
In addition to his flying and command experience, Colonel Richard is a graduate of the National War College. Colonel Richard also earned a Master of Public Administration degree at the Harvard Kennedy School as part of the Chief of Staff of the Air Force Scholar’s Program, and is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School.
2002 Bachelor of Arts, Government, University of Notre Dame, In.
2009 Squadron Officers’ School, Maxwell AFB, Al.
2009 United States Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2012 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Fl.
2014 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Master of Public Administration, Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, Ma.
2020 Master of National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. May 2002 – Oct 2002, Special Assistant to the Commander, AFROTC Det 225, University of Notre Dame
2. October 2002 – June 2003,Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 3rd Flying Training Squadron, Moody AFB, GA
3. June 2003 – May 2004, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, MS
4. May 2004 – May 2005, Student, F-16 Initial Qualification Training, 308th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, AZ
5. May 2005 – January 2008, F-16 Pilot and Electronic Combat Pilot, 13th Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
6. January 2008 – June 2009, F-16 Flight Evaluator and Director of Staff, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan AB, South Korea
7. June 2009 – December 2009, Student, United States Air Force Weapons School, 16th Fighter Squadron, Nellis AFB, NV
8. December 2009 – June 2013, F-16 Weapons Officer, Assistant Director of Operations, 55th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, SC
9. June 2013 – 20 June 2014, Student, Harvard Kennedy School, CSAF Scholar’s Program, Cambridge, MA
10. June 2014 – June 2016, Chief, HQ USAFE-AFAFRICA Weapons and Tactics Branch, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. June 2016 – June 2017, Director of Operations, 480th Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
12. June 2017– July 2019, Commander, 480th Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
13. July 2019 – June 2020, Student, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2020 – May 2021, Deputy Chief of Combat Air Forces Division, Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia
15. June 2021 – Present, Vice Commander, 8th FW, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 2,270
Aircraft Flown: T-6, T-38, and F-16CM/CJ
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with Two Devices
Air Medal with Five Devices
Air Force Commendation Medal with Three Devices
Joint Service Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 2002
First Lieutenant May 2004
Captain May 2006
Major May 2012
Lieutenant Colonel January 2016
Colonel March 2021
Current as of June 2021