Registration & ID

Passports and ID Cards

There is no passport office here at Kunsan AB. The closest facility is at Osan AB which is about 2 hours north of here. You do not need a passport to enter the country on military orders; however, you will need one for some travel opportunities. We highly recommend and encourage you to obtain a Tourist Passport prior to departing your current duty station.

ID Cards
The Kunsan ID Cards Office is located in Bldg 755, Room 119. We offer the following services: Initial issue and renewal of Common Access Card (CAC), Dependent ID Cards, Retirement ID, Out-processing, Certificate updates, Resets of PINs and blocked CACs, DD 1172 print-outs, DEERS enrollment and marriage and divorce updates.

Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 0800 to 1600.

Every CAC must be registered with DBIDS to authorize personnel access to one or more military installations. Upon arrival, your sponsor will take you to the Pass and ID to get your CAC updated in the DBIDS System.

Shipping Your Vehicle

Only E-7s and above are entitled to ship one POV regardless of the type of tour. Personnel contemplating shipment of a two-wheeled motorized vehicle, including mopeds, should contact their gaining unit regarding operation/registration procedures. Unleaded fuel is available on-base.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved testing of catalytic systems on POVs operating in Korea. This eliminates the requirement to remove catalytic converters from POVs. Under the DOD POV Import Control Program, the removal of catalytic converters is voluntary. If catalytic converters are not removed, unleaded fuel must be used. All POV's have to be registered through the Korean authorities.

In order for any USFK service members in the grades of E-6 and below to be eligible to be issued, or re-issued a POV operator's license, authorization is required from their squadron commander.

The legal status of U.S. Forces personnel in Korea is determined by an international agreement between the United States and the Republic of Korea (ROK) called the U.S. and ROK Status of Forces Agreement.

Your assignment in Korea not only helps the ROK, it helps the U.S. accomplish important foreign policy objectives. This does not entitle you to any special privileges, except for those provided in the SOFA.

On the other hand, the ROK is very willing for you to live and work in as familiar an environment as possible and to have for your personal use the same type of services and facilities that you enjoy back home. In return for having these things, which are generally not as readily available to its own citizens, the ROK government makes two requests:

1. That you respect the ROK laws, and
2. That you do not allow the privileges granted U.S. forces to harm the nation's economy or that of its citizens.

The SOFA gives you benefits and protection. It enables you to enjoy the benefits of exchanges, commissaries, military clubs, banks/credit unions and postal services. It protects your legal and civil rights in case you are involved in an accident or suspected of a violation of ROK law.

The SOFA also provides that the ROK government will take jurisdiction over USFK personnel only for those offenses which violate ROK laws, such as causing the death of another person, robbery, rape, or attempts to commit such offenses. Offenders remain in U.S. custody until all judicial proceedings are completed.

Black-marketing and drug abuse are two particularly serious offenses in Korea. Selling or transferring items brought into the country duty free to someone who's not authorized the same privilege is black-marketing. This covers everything from cigarettes to TV sets.

Drug laws in Korea are extremely rigid; do not violate them.

Before shipping your POV, you should consider the following:
· Body damage: If your car has severe body damage it will not be allowed on the road
· Tires: Tires must have a minimum of one millimeter (1 mm) depth over the entire tread and to be the sizes recommended by the manufacturer and do not stick out beyond the fender. Additionally, DO NOT mix radial tires with non-radial tires
· Miscellaneous: Check your lights, exhaust system, seatbelts, brakes, windshield and windows (for cracks)
· Recommendation: Pull-out radios, cassette decks, and CD players should be removed to reduce the chance of pilferage; your catalytic converter does not need to be removed; unleaded gas is available in the ROK
· Tinted windows: Tint is not authorized on the driver or passenger windows
· Check with your local TMO for the latest restrictions and information before shipping

Some U.S. insurers will not write policies for overseas. Check with your current insurer before you PCS. Vehicle insurance companies are available both on and off base. Whatever you decide, you must show proof of insurance to pick up and register your vehicle on base.

If you plan on shipping a POV to Kunsan, please understand that once you PCS, you will only be entitled to one POV shipment regardless of whether your follow-on assignment is CONUS or OCONUS. This means that if you ship a POV to Kunsan and your next base is Ramstein, Germany, then you cannot ship your Kunsan POV back to the states and then ship another vehicle to Ramstein unless you pay for one of the shipments yourself. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your local TMO.

Maintenance on American vehicles
Owning an American-made vehicle overseas could become expensive; often stateside warranties are not honored. Bottom line, be prepared for unexpected costs and consider this when deciding to ship your car overseas.
Contact your local TMO office for more details on shipping a vehicle.


Vehicle testing, pick up, inspection and registration

You've arrived to Kunsan AB, have been authorized to ship your vehicle and want to drive...Now what?

If you decided to ship your POV you will have to ensure that your vehicle is up to standards and have a valid stateside driver's license. Steps to process your registration quickly are as follows:
1. Click here for study material to obtain a Korean Drivers License.
   a. You may schedule a testing appointment with your Squadron Rep.
   b. Once you have passed the test you will be given forms which you'll need to take to Pass and ID.
   c. Pass and ID will ensure that you have proper insurance and credentials to drive.

2. In order to get to Yongsan, you may take the city bus (Apprx 17,800 WON) from Kunsan City Station (runs every 20 minutes - 3 hours - See CAC for schedule) which will arrive at the Seoul Terminal and take a Taxi (Apprx 10,000 WON) to Yongsan Main Gate or Camp Kim (from here, get a base taxi and ask for the VPC). Advisable to get a GPS from Airman Family Readiness prior to departing, they loan them out for free.

3. Head to Camp Kim. Shipping times vary. Ensure you've been notified that your vehicle has arrived.
APO AP 96205-5333
TELEPHONE: 02-798-7031
DSN: 723-8912/8916

4. Upon arrival you'll process, inspect and retrieve your POV. You'll have to drive around the corner (VPC will provide directions) to get Temporary Plates (Ensure you have $5.00 Cash) office opens at 0830-1600.
   a. Ensure you have all proper documentation prior to going to Seoul, this could hold you up or prevent you from getting your POV all together.

5. After you've obtained temporary plates, you'll need to fill up at the gas station (VPC directions provided).
   a. You have 10 days from the time you get your temporary plates to the time you'll need to register with City Hall.

6. After returning to Kunsan, you'll need to schedule an appointment for a Safety Inspection ($19.95) at the Gas Station on base. Upon passing, head to City Hall for registration.

7. Gunsan city requires the following forms to register your POV:
   a. Korean Customs Import Document from VPC (Temp Plates)
   b. Insurance Cards
   c. Korean Drivers License
   d. Military ID Card
   e. Safety Inspection
   f. Cost is approximately (25,000 WON) if you register after your 10 day window and an additional 2,000 WON. If you are not late with registering, cost is approximately (5,000-10,000 Won).

8. You'll then be required to head to the Plates Office where you'll take all documentation from City Hall and provide them with (20,000 WON) for permanent plates.

9. Upon completing this, you'll have to return to Pass and ID for final registration with the base.

10. Congratulations you're done.

Current as of April 14, 2021