LocationKunsan AB is located on the western coast of the Republic of Korea peninsula bordered by the yellow sea. It is approximately 150 miles south of Seoul. The base is named after Gunsan City, a port town 7.5 miles east of the installation. Many interesting sites, including temples and historical landmarks are within an easy driving distance. The base operator's phone number is 011-82-63-470-1110, or DSN 315-782-1110.
"Defend the Base (Hooah), Accept Follow on Forces (Bring it), Take the Fight North (Wolf Pack)." The major command is the Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) and the primary weapon system is the F-16 Fighting Falcon.
Critical Installation Information
Kunsan AB is a true remote assignment. It is much more austere than Osan AB. We are not configured to provide adequate support to family members and when we try, it often comes at the expense of the permanent party people. Therefore, no 8th FW active duty military members will be authorized to live off base without the Installation commander (Wolf's) approval. This includes those who intend to bring non-command sponsored dependents to Korea or already have non-command sponsored dependents in country.
Special Installation Messages:
· U.S. officials have placed some restaurants and clubs off limits because of possible food or water contamination, unsanitary restrooms, history of sexually transmitted diseases, or availability of drugs. Safety factors such as fire hazards or no clear evacuation route may also cause a business to be placed off limits.
· Curfews may be initiated at anytime by USFK or Wing Commander Policy depending on mission needs and events happening.
· The use of natural bodies of water for swimming is prohibited for military people in Korea, unless approved by commanders. These places are off limits because of possible contaminated water, lack of adequate lifeguards, and/or enforcement of safety rules/procedures.
· Uniform of the day is OCP's. Have one set of Blues available in your accompanied baggage. Kunsan AB has many exercises and you may be arriving during one so be prepared.
· The WON (Korean Currency) exchange rate is approximately 1,100 WON to the American Dollar (subject to change).
· U.S. Transportation Command re-instituted Patriot Express service to Osan and Kunsan AB. This service is mandatory for all duty passenger travel. Please expect that the Traffic Management Office at your current base will schedule your PCS flight to Korea on the Patriot Express.
· All newcomers must complete the mandatory online USFK sponsorship survey
If you need any assistance contact the Military Personnel Flight, 011-82-63-470-5276 or DSN 315-782-5276, or the Airman and Family Readiness Center, Relocation Assistance Manager at 011-82 -63-470-5644 or DSN 315-782-5644. Every Thursday or Friday there is a Newcomers In-Processing Briefings at the Base Theater. Kunsan is a remote duty station and does not have a loan closet, though your Squadron may have a program set up, do not rely solely on it though. However, the local Kunsan AB 5/6 organization does staff an Airman's Attic behind AAFES in the LG Daecom building.
There are two banking agencies located on Kunsan AB. The Navy Federal Credit Union and the Community Bank, which is affiliated with the Bank of America.
Medical Services: Care is provided by the 8th Medical Group with very limited specialty services (Internal Medicine, Orthopedics, OB/GYN, etc.). In those instances we may medically refer them to the 51st Medical Group at Osan AB or local hospitals in the area. If you seek care on the economy you must pay and then be reimbursed by TRICARE.
Child Care: Kunsan is an unaccompanied tour. No child care is available.
Schools: All the local schools are for Korean nationals at Kunsan AB. There are no DoD Schools in the local area. The closet DoDs schools are located in Osan and Daegu approximately 2.5 hour's drive from Kunsan AB.
Youth Services: Kunsan is an unaccompanied tour. No youth services are available.
Airman and Family Readiness Center: 011-82-63-470-5644.
Current as of April 14, 2021