Col. Nicholas Evans is the Commander, 8th Operations Group, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea. As the Group Commander, he is responsible for the conduct of conventional air-to-ground and air-to-air missions in support of armistice and wartime taskings to defend the ROK.
Col. Evans was commissioned in 1999 upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He is a command pilot with over 2,200 hours in the F-16, and he is a graduate of the USAF Weapons Instructor Course and the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies
1999 Bachelor of Science in Military History, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 F-16 Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Science in Aerospace Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2012 Master of Arts in Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Master of Philosophy in Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Doctor of Philosophy in Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 Joint Professional Military Education- Phase 2, Joint Forces Staff College Satellite Course, Norfolk, Va.
1. June 1999 - March 2001, Student Pilot, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. March 2001 - February 2002, Student Pilot, F-16 Basic Course, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. March 2002 - November 2004, Chief of Training, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 4th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
4. November 2004 - June 2005, Chief of Wing Training, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 388th Operational Spt Sq, Hill AFB, Utah
5. June 2005 - July 2007, Flight Commander, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 310th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. July 2007 - December 2007, F-16 Weapons Instructor Course Student, 16th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. January 2008 - June 2008, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
8. June 2008 - January 2009, Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, 8th Operational Support Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
9. February 2009 - July 2011, Chief of F-16 Programs, F-16 Operational Test & Evaluation SEFE, 85th Test & Evaluation Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
10. August 2011 - June 2012, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 2012 - August 2013, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. September 2013 - May 2016, Commander and Director of Ops, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
13. June 2016 - May 2017, Lorenz Fellow, PhD Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. May 2017 - June 2019, Director, Commander's Action Group, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command (USINDOPACOM), Camp Smith, Hawaii
15. June 2019 - Present, Commander, 8th OG, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,400
Aircraft flown: F-16C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1999
First Lieutenant June 2, 2001
Captain June 2, 2003
Major Jan. 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2012
Colonel May 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2019)