Col. Tad D. Clark is the Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea, home of the “Wolf Pack.” He serves as the U.S. Forces Korea Area VI commander for more than 7,000 forward-stationed and combat-ready Air Force and Army personnel. As the 8th FW Commander, he is responsible for the plans, support, and execution of military operations in support of counter-air, aerial interdiction and close-air support on the Korean Peninsula. The 8th FW consists of more than 2,700 active-duty personnel, four groups and 13 squadrons, including two F-16 fighter squadrons. Col. Clark reports to the 7th Air Force Commander for the wing's conduct of conventional air-to-ground and air-to-air missions in support of armistice and wartime taskings.
Col. Clark received his commission in 1996 from the U.S. Air Force Academy and earned his wings from Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training at Sheppard Air Force Base. Col. Clark has served as an F-16 Mission Commander and Instructor Pilot, led NATO's largest Link-16 large force exercise in history comprising over 85 combat aircraft, was a member of the 2006-2007 USAF ‘Thunderbirds’ Air Demonstration Squadron, commanded the 451st Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, and most recently served as the Vice Commander, 52d FW, Spangdahlem AB, Germany.
Col. Clark is a command pilot, and a current and qualified F-16 instructor pilot and flight examiner, with over 3,300 flying hours in the T-37, T-38, AT-38, and F-16. He flew 118 missions in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM with multiple expeditionary fighter squadrons culminating in more than 600 combat hours in the F-16.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Management, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2001 Masters in Business Administration, Midwestern State University, Wichita Falls, Texas
2005 Tactical Leadership Programme, Florennes Air Base, Belgium
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Masters in Strategic Intelligence, National Intelligence University, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Masters in National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2018 Senior Leader Nuclear Management Course, USAF Nuclear College, Kirtland AFB, N. M.
2019 Senior Executive Education, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. January 1997 - February 1998, Student Pilot, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, 80 FTW, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. March 1998 - April 2001, T-37 First Assignment Instructor Pilot, Check Section Pilot, 89 FTS, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. May 2001 - June 2001, AT-38 Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, 88 FTS, Sheppard AFB, Texas
4. July 2001 - April 2002, F-16 Basic Course, 61 FS, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. May 2002 - June 2002, F-16 Night Systems Course, 310 FS, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. July 2002 - July 2003, F-16 Flight Lead, Chief of Life Support, Chief of Safety, 35 FS, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
7. August 2003 - October 2005, F-16 Mission Commander, Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Chief of Scheduling, 22 FS, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
8. November 2005 - December 2007, USAF Air Demonstration Squadron, the ‘Thunderbirds’, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. January 2008 - June 2009, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, USAF Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. January 2008 - June 2009, F-16 Adversary Tactics Pilot, IR Missile Expert, 64th Aggressor Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. July 2009 - July 2010, Graduate Student, National Intelligence University, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
12. August 2010 - March 2012, Division Chief, Senior Leader Management, HQ Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
13. April 2012 - April 2013, Commander, 451st Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Kandahar, Afghanistan
14. July 2013 - June 2014, Graduate Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2014 - June 2017, Joint Staff Officer, U.S. Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany
16. June 2017 - May 2019, Vice Commander, 52d Fighter Wing, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
17. May 2019 - Present, Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: 3,300+
Combat hours: 600+
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38 and F-16
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
2014 - 2015, Command Electronic Warfare Officer & Chief, Joint Cyber Center (J39), USAFRICOM, Stuttgart, Germany as a Lieutenant Colonel
2015 - 2016, Deputy Division Chief, Information & Cyberspace Operations (J39), USAFRICOM, Stuttgart, Germany as a Lieutenant Colonel
2016 - 2017, Senior Executive Officer, Deputy Commander, USAFRICOM, Stuttgart, Germany as a Colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1996
First Lieutenant May 29, 1998
Captain May 29, 2000
Major May 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel December, 1 2010
Colonel March 1, 2017
Current as of July 2019