Yokota Airmen recognized in Good Deed Ceremony
By Airman 1st Class Brieana Bolfing, 374th Airlift Wing Public Affairs
/ Published May 21, 2019
Yokota Air Base, Japan --
Since 1951, the Good Conduct Association of Japan has made neighborhoods throughout Japan better and brighter by recognizing those who perform -- as well as promote -- good deeds in their communities.
At the organization’s 69th Annual Good Deed Award Ceremony, held May 18, 2019 at the Meiji Shrine in Shibuya, five organizations and nine individuals from Yokota Air Base were recognized for leaving a legacy of selflessness, said Lt. Col. Richard F. McElhaney Jr., 374th Operations Support Squadron commander.
Winners were nominated in several categories ranging from Good neighbor to accident prevention.
Some individuals were nominated for teaching English, volunteering with local farms, and others served food to Philippine and Vietnamese immigrants.
The organizations selected as group winners included:
- The Yokota Air Base Chapel Team
- The 374th Communications Squadron
- Kanto Plains Firefighter's Association, 374th Civil Engineer Squadron
- The 374th Contracting Squadron's Buyer's club
- The 374th Operations Support Squadron Key spouses
Individual winners were:
- Senior Master Sgt. Bryn T. Lochman, 374th Maintenance Group
- Staff Sgt. Joshua D. Childers, 374th MXG
- Eric L. Warner, 374th CES
- Tech. Sgt. David A. Showers Jr., 374th OSS
- Senior Airman Karina Sotomayor, 374th OSS
- Staff Sgt. Veronica N. Scwhab-Tidwell, 374th OSS
- Darlis C. Wrenn, 374th OSS
- Tech. Sgt. Eric S. Andrade, 374th CS
- Staff Sgt. Kazuhito Ikematsu, 374th CS
“I am proud knowing that the individuals present here today have exemplified the traits of the Air Force,” said McElhaney. “It is my sincerest hope that their actions will continue to benefit the community and strengthen the bond between the United States and Japan.”