Colonel Lawrence T. Sullivan is the Vice Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea. As Vice Commander, the colonel plays a key role in the planning, support, and execution of military operations to include counter-air, aerial interdiction, and close-air support on the Korean Peninsula. The wing consists of more than 2,700 active-duty personnel, four groups, and 13 squadrons including two F-16 fighter squadrons.
Colonel Sullivan received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1999. He is has held two joint staff positions and served as an F-16 instructor pilot, flight examiner, weapons officer, and operations and squadron commander during various flying assignments in the Pacific Air Forces command. He also served as a National Defense Fellow at the Advanced Research Projects Agency. Prior to his current position, the colonel was the Chief, Special Projects and Innovation Division, Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
The colonel is a command pilot with more than 2,000 flying hours, including 200 combat hours.
1999 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Forward Air Controller Airborne Course, Luke AFB, Az.
2006 Weapons Instructor Course, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master of International Relations, Troy University, Troy, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Master of National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2013 Master of Philosophy and Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Postdoctoral Candidate in Military Strategy, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Master of Science in Natural Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, National Defense University
1. October 1999 - October 2000 Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. October 2000 - March 2001 Student Pilot, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. April 2001 - October 2001, F-16 Student Pilot, 149th Fighter Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas
4. December 2001 - December 2002, F-16 Pilot, 36th FS, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
5. December 2002 - December 2005, Flight Commander, IP, SEFE 18th FS, Eielson AFB, Ark.
6. December 2005 - July 2008, Flight Commander, IP, SEFE, 13th FS, Misawa AB, Japan
7. July 2006 - December 2006, Student, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. January 2007 - December 2008, Squadron and Wing Weapons Officer, 35th FW, Misawa AB, Japan
9. December 2008 - July 2011, F-16 Instructor, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. July 2011 - June 2012, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. July 2012 - June 2013, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. October 2013 - May 2014, Director of Operations, 14th FS, Misawa Air Base, Japan
13. May 2014 - July 2016, Commander, 35th Operations Support Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
14. April 2016 - July 2016, Fellow, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Arlington, Va.
15. July 2016 - June 2017, Student, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2017 - May 2018, Program Manager for Project DATAHUB, Global Operations (J39), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. May 2018 - May 2019, Chief, Special Projects and Innovation Division, Global Operations (J39), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. May 2019 - Present, Vice Commander, 8th FW, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2017 - May 2018, Program Manager for Project DATAHUB, Global Operations (J39), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. as a colonel
2. May 2018 - May 2019, Chief of Special Projects and Innovation Division, Global Operations (J39), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,000
Aircraft flown: F-16, T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-15D, F-15E, B-1B, EA-6B, MQ-9, RC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
2006 Risner Trophy, 16th Weapons Squadron
2007 Clarence H. Mackay Trophy
2010 Cecil G. Foster Award as Outstanding Weapons School F-16 Instructor
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1999
First Lieutenant June 2001
Captain June 2003
Major December 2008
Lieutenant Colonel November 2012
Colonel June 2018
(Current as of May 2019)