Colonel Scott W. Walker is the Commander, 8th Operations Group, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea. As the Group Commander, he is responsible for the conduct of conventional air-to-ground and air-to-air missions in support of armistice and wartime taskings to defend the ROK.
Col. Walker received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1996. He has held staff positions at Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, and United Nations Command / Combined Forces Command / U.S. Forces Korea Command at U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan, Republic of Korea. Prior to his current position, the colonel was Chief of Inspections Division, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces Inspector General, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii.
Col. Walker is a command pilot with over 3,000 flying hours in the T-3, T-34C, T-37, T-38, AT-38C, and F-16. He has more than 560 combat flying hours and has flown combat missions in Operations IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL.
1996 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 Master of Military Art and Science, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2016 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. May 1996 - May 1997, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Pensacola Naval Air Station, Fla.
2. May 1997 - July 1998, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. July 1998 - November 1999, KC-135 Navigator, 909th Air Refueling Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
4. November 1999 - March 2000, KC-135 Instructor/Evaluator Navigator, 909th ARS, Kadena AB, Japan
5. November 2000 - June 2002, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
6. June 2002 - January 2003, Student, 309th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. January 2003 - January 2005, F-16 Pilot, 555th FS, Aviano AB, Italy
8. August 2005 - March 2006, F-16 Pilot, Wing Flight Safety Officer, 31st FW, Aviano AB, Italy
9. March 2006 - June 2007, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Chief of Safety, 8th FW, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
10. June 2007 - August 2008, Aide-de-Camp, Commander United Nations Command/Combined Forces Command/U.S. Forces Korea, U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan, Republic of Korea
11. August 2008 - June 2009, Chief of Coal Warfighter Division, Headquarters Air Force, Washington D.C.
12. June 2009 - November 2010, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kan.
13. November 2010 - August 2011, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 55th FS, Shaw AFB, S.C.
14. August 2011 - October 2012, Chief of Safety, 20th FW, Shaw AFB, S.C.
15. October 2012 - September 2014, Commander, Detachment 93 Active Associate, 495th Fighter Group, Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla.
16. September 2014 - July 2015, Deputy Commander, 20th OG, Shaw AFB, S.C.
17. July 2015 - August 2016, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
18. August 2016 - August 2017, Chief of Air-to-Ground Inspections, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces Inspector General, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
19. August 2017 - May 2018, Chief of Inspections Division, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces Inspector General, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
20. Jun 2018 - Present, Commander, 8th OG, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,000 including 562 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-3, T-34C, T-37, T-38, AT-38C, F-16 Blocks 30/40/42/50
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with bronze star
Air & Space Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1996
First Lieutenant May 29, 1998
Captain May 29, 2000
Major May 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2011
Colonel Oct. 1, 2017
(Current as of June 2018)