by Tech. Sgt. Jarrod Berry
8th Civil Engineer Squadron Fire Department fire prevention inspector
10/11/2012 - KUNSAN AIR BASE, Republic of Korea -- While living in the dorms, there are specific rules Airmen must follow to make sure fire safety is always observed.
Not following these rules is punishable under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and could result in the loss of pay. Not following the rules can also affect others through the loss of life or property.
So now that you know, don't be guilty of negligence. For further guidance please refer to 8th Fighter Wing Instruction 32-200, "Fire Prevention," available through the Kunsan SharePoint site.
Here are a few important notes to consider:
· Candle burning is not allowed inside dorm rooms and is punishable under the UCMJ
· Cigarette smoking is not allowed inside dormitories and is also punishable under the UCMJ
· Tampering with smoke detectors or any parts of a fire detection system is illegal
· Tampering with portable fire extinguishers is illegal
· Cooking is not allowed inside dorm rooms without kitchens. This includes hotplates, toasters, grills and portable burners. Microwaves are allowed.
· Bonfires must be approved by the Fire Department PRIOR to the commencement of the event
· Storage of lighter fluid and charcoal is not allowed inside dorm rooms
· Microwaves, refrigerators and other heat-producing appliances must be directly plugged into wall outlets