|COLONEL DOUGLAS NIKOLAI|
Colonel Douglas J. Nikolai serves as the 8th Fighter Wing vice commander at Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea. The 8th FW plans, supports and executes military operations to include counter air, interdiction and close air support and consists of more than 2,600 active duty personnel, four groups and 15 squadrons, including two F-16 squadrons.
Colonel Nikolai received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1989. He has extensive combat, tactical, and operational experience with more than 2,800 flying hours, including more than 260 combat hours earned during Operations SOUTHERN WATCH and IRAQI FREEDOM.
His assignments have included the following duties: F-16 Weapons Instructor Course Pilot, Flight Examiner, Flight Commander, Assistant Operations Officer, Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, Chief of Squadron Standardization and Evaluation, Chief of 11 Air Force Weapons and Tactics, Operations Officer, Director of Staff, F-16 Squadron Commander and Deputy Group Commander. Prior to assuming his current position, he served as Chief of the Weapon Systems Liaison Division of the Secretary of the Air Force's Legislative Liaison Office, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Biology, United States Air Force Academy, CO
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL, residence/non-residence
1997 Weapons Instructor Course Graduate, Nellis AFB, NV
2002 Air Command and Staff College, non-residence
2003 Masters of Business Administration and Management, Tourou International University, San Diego, CA,
2004 Masters of National Security Studies, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
2005 Air War College, non-residence
2011 Masters of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, AL
1. Aug 89 - Sep 90 Student, Euro-NATO Joint Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, TX.
2. Oct 90 - Dec 90 Student, Lead-In Fighter Training, Holloman Air Force Base, NM.
3. Jan 91 - Jul 91 Student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke Air Force Base, AZ.
4. Aug 91 - Dec 92 F-16 Pilot, Air-to-Ground weapons officer, 80 Fighter Squadron, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
5. Mar 93 - Mar 97 F-16 Instructor Pilot, 18th Fighter Squadron, Eielson AFB, AK
6. Mar 97 - Feb 98 Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air
Base, Republic of Korea
7. Feb 98 - Jul 00 Squadron Weapons Officer, Flight Commander, Assistant Operations Officer, Misawa AB, Japan
8. Jul 00 - Jun 03 F-16 Operational Test Pilot, F-16 Division Commander, 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron Chief of Testing and Requirements, Air Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, NV
10. Oct 04 - Jan 05 11 AF Chief of F-16 Weapons and Tactics, 611 Air Operations Squadron,
Elmendorf Air Force Base, AK
11. Jan 05 - Jul 06 Operations Officer, 611 Air Operations Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, AK
12. Sep 06 - May 11 Operations Officer, 22 Fighter Squadron; Director of Staff, 52nd Fighter
Wing; Commander, 22 Fighter Squadron; Deputy Commander, 52nd Operations Group, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
14. Jun 11 - Jun 12 Chief, Weapon Systems Liaison Division, Pentagon, Washington, DC
15. Jun 12 - Present Vice Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,800
Aircraft Flown: F-16CM Block 50, F-16CJ Block 50, F-16CG Block 40, F-16C Block 30, A/T-38, T-38, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement with one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1989
First Lieutenant May 31, 1991
Captain May 31, 1993
Major August 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2005
Colonel January 1, 2011
(Current as of June 2012)